Health and Safety plays a major role in everyday work life. But when things go wrong and accidents or deaths occur they must be reported to the Health and Safety Executive (H&SE) and it’s important to make sure you know how the law affects you. In this article we will be looking at the reporting of injuries, occupational diseases and dangerous occurrences regulation 2013 (RIDDOR), who and what should be reported and how to make a report.

Employers, anyone who is self-employed and anyone who has responsibility for any work premises must report serious workplace accidents, occupational diseases and specified dangerous occurrences/near misses to the H&SE under RIDDOR.

The Responsible Person

The law requires employers and the self-employed to work in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably possible, that they or staff (or anyone they come into contact with while working) are not exposed to risks to their health or safety.

If you are an employer

If you are an employer, it is your duty to report any work-related deaths, and certain work-related injuries, cases of occupational disease, and near misses involving your employees while working.

If you are in control of premises

If you are in control of premises, you must report any work-related deaths, certain injuries to members of the public and self-employed people, and dangerous occurrences/near miss incidents that occur on your premises.


If you are self-employed and are working on your own premises or in domestic premises are have an accident then you need to report it. If you are working in someone else’s work premises and suffer either a specified injury or an over-seven-day injury, then the person in control of the premises will be responsible for reporting it.

Reportable Incidents

A reportable incident is one in which someone dies or has been injured because of a work-related accident. A RIDDOR report is required only when:

  • the accident is work-related
  • it results in an injury of a type which is reportable

Types of reportable injury:

The death of a person

All deaths, with the exception of suicides, must be reported if they arise from a work-related accident, including an act of physical violence to a worker.

The list of ‘specified injuries’ are:

  • fractures, other than to fingers, thumbs and toes
  • amputations
  • any injury likely to lead to permanent loss of sight or reduction in sight
  • any crush injury to the head or torso causing damage to the brain or internal organs
  • serious burns (including scalding) which:
    • covers more than 10% of the body
    • causes significant damage to the eyes, respiratory system or other vital organs
  • any scalping requiring hospital treatment
  • any loss of consciousness caused by head injury or asphyxia
  • any other injury arising from working in an enclosed space which:
    • leads to hypothermia or heat-induced illness
    • requires resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours

Further guidance on specified injuries is available.

Over-three-day and over-seven-day incapacitation of a worker

Where workers are incapacitated for more than three consecutive days, they must be recorded in an accident book under the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979, but they don’t have to be reported.

When an accident causes a worker to be incapacitated for more than seven consecutive days (this seven day period does not include the day of the accident, but does include weekends and rest days) it must be reported. The report must be made within 15 days of the accident.

Non-fatal accidents to non-workers (e.g. members of the public)

Accidents to members of the public must be reported if they result in an injury and the person is taken directly from the scene of the accident to hospital for treatment to that injury. There is no need to report incidents where there is no apparent injury.

Make your report here: https://extranet.hse.gov.uk/lfserver/external/F2508IE

Occupational diseases

Certain occupational diseases must be reported where they have been caused or made worse by their work: These diseases include:

  • occupational dermatitis
  • occupational asthma
  • carpal tunnel syndrome
  • tendonitis or tenosynovitis of the hand or forearm
  • severe cramp of the hand or forearm
  • hand-arm vibration syndrome
  • any occupational cancer
  • any disease attributed to an occupational exposure to a biological agent

Make your report here: https://extranet.hse.gov.uk/lfserver/external/F2508AE

Dangerous occurrences

Not all dangerous occurrences/near-miss events require reporting. For those that require reporting see Schedule 2 of RIDDOR.

For example:

  • the collapse, overturning or failure of load-bearing parts of lifts and lifting equipment;
  • plant or equipment coming into contact with overhead power lines;
  • the accidental release of any substance which could cause injury to any person.

Make your report here: https://extranet.hse.gov.uk/lfserver/external/F2508DOE

Gas incidents

Any accidents involving gas where someone has died, lost consciousness, or been taken to hospital for treatment to an injury arising in connection with that gas must be reported.

Make your report here: https://extranet.hse.gov.uk/lfserver/external/F2508G1E

Unsafe gas appliances and fittings should be reported.

Make your report here: https://extranet.hse.gov.uk/lfserver/external/F2508G2E

New Broom Training

New Broom Training provides a range of Health and Safety courses and consultancy. We can provide help and advice in risk assessment. Contact us for more information.